Thursday, August 29, 2013

Terry Goodkind's "The Omen Machine" Part 1



Terry Goodkind's "The Omen Machine" (Amazon)

08/29/2013

Hello, and welcome to my first post for this new blog. In this blog, I will be discussing science fiction and fantasy books and short stories that I'm currently reading. I hope that you enjoy it.

At the moment, I am reading Terry Goodkind's "The Omen Machine" (Link Above). You can look at this novel in two ways, either as book number twelve in the "Sword of Truth" saga, or as book number one in the "Richard and Kahlan" series. I am about halfway through the book, and I'm inclined to go with the latter. So far, the writing seems drastically different than the "Sword of Truth" novels. The characters seem shallow, and the story feels rushed. 

However, with that being said, it is not an entirely terrible read up to this point. Also, Goodkind is one of my favorite authors, so I'm not willing to give up on his work at this point. I will definitely finish this book as well as "The Third Kingdom" after that. I think that he has earned my loyalty to see where he will take the characters in this world, since I enjoyed the first eleven books so much.

Here is to hoping that the story picks up from here. Come back soon to read my take on the second half of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment