Sunday, September 1, 2013

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) Episode 14


Attack on Titan Episode 14 (Crunchyroll)

Attack on Titan Episode 14 (Hulu)

Still Can’t Look Him in the Eye / Eve of the Counteroffensive, Pt. 1 - Attack On Titan, Season 1 (Original Japanese Version)

"Still Can't Look Him in the Eye/Eve of the Counteroffensive, Part 1"

09/01/2013

Let me say two things before I review the episode. First, I'm sorry that I haven't updated as quickly. My sister gave birth recently to my first nephew, so I've been spending a lot of time at their place helping them out. Second, I will not have a post for episode 13.5. I'm watching these episodes after they've already aired in hopes of catching up to the current ones, which are currently at 21, I believe. If I had been current at the time, I may have watched the recap episode, but since I watched the first 13 episodes in a 5 day period, I didn't feel there was any need.

*Spoiler*

Episode 14 really showcases the inability of humankind to get along. Even in the face of extinction, every faction of humanity wants to get its own way. People are so unreasonable when they are afraid. You would hope that more people would think like General Pixis and use whatever means necessary to achieve victory and survival. That is not the case in this fictional world, and I feel that it would not be the case in our real world either, even in the face of total destruction.

Even the Scout Regiment, which I sincerely like up to this point, had to resort to fear and violence to sway the crown in Eren's favor. Even then, the victory feels short-lived. How long will the military allow Eren to stay with the Scout Regiment without further demonstration of the benefit he will bring to mankind's efforts? That is a crucial question in this series.

Eren continues to grow with each episode. I'm glad to see that he is smart and thinks quickly on his feet. A show can start to feel old very, very quickly if the main character is dumb, as I've pointed out before.

A final thought: when Mikasa saw Levi hurting Eren like he was, she was extremely upset. Who wins in a fight between Mikasa and Levi? Who is stronger? I hope we can find out someday, one way or the other.

Stay tuned for more exciting episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment